Shorter days and Longer nights
It’s that time of year and as the clocks go back – what does this mean in relation to Road Traffic Accidents?
Given the lack of daylight and the run-up to the busy festive period, it will come as no surprise that road traffic accidents increase. You can take all the precautions you possibly can but accidents are simply unavoidable in certain circumstances – especially when the fault lies with someone else. It is important to know what to do if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an RTA. We at Fairmont are at hand to help you deal with matters but what about the immediate aftermath?
Following the process below will only ensure smooth and less stressful handling of the situation.
- Stop and Stay Calm!
- Always stop regardless of how minor the car accident is. Park your car with the hazard lights on. Place a warning triangle on the road. Most importantly, try not to panic. It is a criminal offence for failing to stop at the accident scene which can lead to a fine and disqualification.
- Reduce Risks
- Evaluate the scene, ensure all passengers especially children are safe. Ensure there is no major debris on the road for the safety of other drivers.
- Call for Help
- Call 101 or 999 if it is a serious accident. Be sure to see if anyone is injured and if necessary, call for an ambulance
- Exchange Details
- Make sure to take the details of all parties involved – to include name, address, insurance company and policy number (if available). It is always advisable to take pictures/videos at the scene of the accident. Make a note of the vehicle make, model and colour, location and the time of the accident – Take a plan of the accident scene if possible – Have a look around if there is CCTV – This will assist in reporting the details at a later stage
- Speak to Witnesses
- Be sure to obtain any witness details at the scene of the accident.
- Take Pictures
- As well as pictures of the scene, if possible, try to take pictures of any insurance documents/driving licences etc (especially if you have had an accident with a foreign vehicle).
DO NOT OFFER AN APOLOGY OR ADMIT FAULT AT THIS STAGE!
Ensure your vehicle is roadworthy and safe to drive post-accident depending on the impact to vehicles involved and damage caused.
As soon as it is convenient for you be sure to contact your insurance company.
If you sustained an injury and/or require a replacement vehicle, contact Fairmont Legal for a FREE initial consultation. We will guide you through the legal process and make sure that your claim is dealt with efficiency. Call us on 01204 866597 or email email@example.com